[Openicc] Fwd: Re: Krita color adjusting

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jun 15 04:51:42 EST 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 20:22, Chris Murphy wrote:
>

>> But for peat's sake, please do not equate this profile as something
>> to use as the default profile for untagged images. That needs to be
>> either sRGB always, or a separate selection.

The brain is an interesting thing. Hmm. I haven't worked with peat in
a while, not sure why I was thinking of it. Anyway...

> If you import an untagged RGB image into Krita and you have neither
> a printer
> nor a monitor profile then it stays untagged; otherwise it's
> assumed to be
> sRGB. Is that correct?

Default behavior should be to consider it sRGB. More advanced
behavior would be to allow the user to tag it with something from a
list of RGB profiles. And even more advanced would be a single dialog
that would allow it to be tagged and then converted to whatever the
edit space is.

> Fortunately there'll be nothing to preven someone from editing his
> images in
> RGB. But if you want to paint with something that works like (like,
> in a
> simulation of actual physics) real paint then you need to use the
> wet &
> sticky color model in Krita. Of course, when rendered it's rendered
> to RGB,
> and then is assumed to be sRGB if there's a monitor profile,
> otherwise we
> cannot do a transform.

This would then be a subtractive model if its behavior is like paint.
Red plus green would get you really dark mud, rather than yellow as
in RGB. Is that how it works?

> We're going for channel-depth flexibility, too. But there's no way
> I'm going
> to try to store wetness, viscosity, paint concentration and any of
> possibly
> 120 color channel values in the same colorspace as 8-bit rgb
> images... Krita
> is not just about colors on screen or on paper, it's also about the
> feel of
> pushing real stuff around for the artist working with it.

Fascinating.

I have almost no bandwidth at the moment to play, but is this
something that could be made to run in X11 on OS X?

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor