[Openicc] Fwd: Re: Krita color adjusting

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jun 15 05:04:52 EST 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 20:51, Chris Murphy wrote:

> Default behavior should be to consider it sRGB. More advanced
> behavior would be to allow the user to tag it with something from a
> list of RGB profiles. And even more advanced would be a single dialog
> that would allow it to be tagged and then converted to whatever the
> edit space is.

Oh, good -- we're already advanced then!

> This would then be a subtractive model if its behavior is like paint.
> Red plus green would get you really dark mud, rather than yellow as
> in RGB. Is that how it works?

Not really: the goal, not reached yet, would be to model the way flakes of
paint are suspended in the medium. Both
http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/watercolor/paper_small.pdf and
http://www.billbaxter.com/projects/index.html implement something close that
using the Kubelka-Monk model. That's the ultimate goal, although I'm trying
to get http://www.levien.com/gimp/wetdream.html and the Wet & Sticky modell
by Cockshott implemented first. Kublelka-Monk is cool stuff, a combination of
absorbtion and reflection. Probably beyond my capabilities to implement, but
no doubt, once I get the ball rolling, people will step and help out.

> Fascinating.
>
> I have almost no bandwidth at the moment to play, but is this
> something that could be made to run in X11 on OS X?

Sure -- except that the actual paint code still doesn't work. When we noticed
limitations in our current model (ie, the Krita in KOffice 1.4, we started
refactoring. And so it's still not half implemented... You could try the
wetdream thing: it's simple, gtk1 and very small, should be doable with fink.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi