[Openicc] Proof of concept, storing profile in X atoms

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Sat Jun 18 00:42:41 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 08:25 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> The latest version of EXIF, I think it's 2.2, also allows for Adobe
> RGB (1998).

I've got the 2.2 specification in front of me, and ColorSpace is either
0x0001 (sRGB) or 0xFFFF (uncalibrated).  I'll have a hunt and see if
there is a newer specification.

> > The next stage is to extract an embedded ICC profile (I need a tool to
> > embed a profile first as none of my JPEGs have one, any ideas?), and
> > then to look at PNG support.
>
> This is a different world for me. So is this something that lcms will
> not assist with, or something else that could provide such services?
> Or is it the case that each application developer must "reinvent the
> wheel" so to speak, with each application?

Pretty much, yes.  Eye Of Gnome, the image viewer I've been working
with, using libexif to expose the EXIF to the user so I can use the data
there to create a profile.  I need to find out how to get to the
embedded ICC profile (if present) and try and find a way of wrapping
this in a library.  One option is to move this functionality into GTK+,
the widget set for the GNOME desktop.

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com