[Openicc] XICC specification draft

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Jun 25 01:15:52 EST 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Note: I use X11 thin clients at work, so I have a bit of a vested
> interest in this. However, my view is that remote X11 is not just a
> technical curiosity, and I suspect it'll be seeing increasing amounts of
> use again now that thin clients are coming back "into fashion".

X11 is remote by definition.  It is a client-server system.  Anyone
who thinks differently should probably be using Microsoft Windows.

Remote X11 is hardly a "curiosity".  My daily work environment
includes tens of windows for applications running on other systems.  I
am not using a "thin" client.

As Linux evolves, I see more and more X11 programs which behave poorly
(i.e. run slowly, refuse to run) if they are not displayed on the
"console".  This is the result of the "one PC", "one user" thinking
that dominates the Microsoft Windows world.

At least one original X11 inventor is on this list.  Let us assure
that his efforts have not been in vain.  Preserve the client
client-server model and only look for local performance enhancements
once networked client-server is working well.

Bob