[Openicc] XICC specification draft

Ben Guthro bguthro at gretagmacbeth.com
Sat Jun 25 01:44:33 EST 2005

...but we should at least ask the question - what does a color
profile mean for a remote display?

A color profile should be tied to the hardware for which it was
profiled, should it not? If you measure the gamma response of a
display, and create a color profile around this response, and set the
X atom, then connect remotely from a different set of hardware - the
gamma response of that hardware might be entirely different than the
one which it was originally profiled...in which case the profile
would make the colors look incorrect.

While I do see remote usage as important - how important is remote
color management? If initial releases of this spec say that remote
windows remain unmanaged, this might be acceptable.

On Jun 24, 2005, at 11:15 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Craig Ringer wrote:
>

>> Note: I use X11 thin clients at work, so I have a bit of a vested
>> interest in this. However, my view is that remote X11 is not just a
>> technical curiosity, and I suspect it'll be seeing increasing
>> amounts of
>> use again now that thin clients are coming back "into fashion".
>>

> X11 is remote by definition.  It is a client-server system.  Anyone
> who thinks differently should probably be using Microsoft Windows.
>
> Remote X11 is hardly a "curiosity".  My daily work environment
> includes tens of windows for applications running on other
> systems.  I am not using a "thin" client.
>
> As Linux evolves, I see more and more X11 programs which behave
> poorly (i.e. run slowly, refuse to run) if they are not displayed
> on the "console".  This is the result of the "one PC", "one user"
> thinking that dominates the Microsoft Windows world.
>
> At least one original X11 inventor is on this list.  Let us assure
> that his efforts have not been in vain.  Preserve the client client-
> server model and only look for local performance enhancements once
> networked client-server is working well.
>
> Bob

Ben Guthro
Software Engineer
Center of Excellence for Display Technologies
a Gretag Macbeth Company
603.681.0315 x234