[Openicc] XICC specification draft

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Wed Jun 29 05:49:53 EST 2005

Hi,

Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> writes:

> Actually, no you can't migrate easily.  Many X servers manage
> screen resources separately, and it is not unusual for the two
> heads to have completely different configurations running off
> two different graphics cards.  In order for an application to
> move its window to another screen/display, it has to delete the
> original window and ALL other X resources it is using on that
> screen/display, and then recreate everything on the new screen.
> Unless you depend on the behavior of a particular X server or
> graphics driver WRT screen handling, that is the only way to
> support multi-screen displays portably.

That is however all nicely wrapped into modern toolkits so as an
application developer I don't really care. Of course I need to pay
some attention as to not keep actual X resources around over screen
changes but that is not really all that difficult to get right. I
found working around the pitfalls of Xinerama more annoying from a
developers point of view.

> The beauty of Xinerama is that the application sees a single,
> coherent display.

Yeah, a single display. Coherent? Well, if you call a display with
holes in it coherent, than be it.

> The same X resources and windows are guaranteed to work on all
> screens on that display, and the application can get a list of the
> screens and their locations within the display area.  Applications
> and window managers don't have to do anything special to support
> multiple screens, but if they choose to they can do so more easily
> than with the multiple-screen approach.

I've implemented both, support for Xinerama and support for multiple
screens and as an application developer I found that dealing with
multiple screens was easier. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. All I
wanted to say is that people who need to have multiple heads color
managed are probably better off using multiple screens.

Sven