[Lcms-user] Re: [Lcms-user][OpenICC] vgct tags

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun Oct 16 01:25:27 EST 2005

Am 15.10.05, 14:36 +0200 schrieb Stefan Döhla:

> I have to add a very important item: The profiles, created with
> ProfileMaker, basicccolor display, Monaco, ... do include the vcgt and
> are not containing valid device characterization if the vcgt is not
> taken into account. This does mean, that an ICC-lib should support

This is an OS issue. Independent of an CMM.

> vcgt tags, as they are required to correctly apply the data of
> these profiles (which are most likely the majority).

Again an OS issue. The profile attached to an screenshot image is
completely valid in the sense of the ICC spec. Why would someone need the
linearisation data of an printer, With the Cmyk ICC profile a separated
image is completely described, as it can be converted to pcs.

> On the other hand, this does mean, that this information belongs
> somehow to the profile. I must admit, that it's not right to include
> the actual calibration data instead of the desired device response.

My impression is, the profilers do embedd a device response information
due to the lack of standardisation.
I hope to come up soon with an draft about an file format, suitable to
include both ICC compliant information and device configuration
information. I need it in Oyranos as devices are not solved.

> Oh, and becaus of this I would vote for vcgt support in LCMS to
> support these legacy profiles (and operating systems ;-)

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas