[Openicc] Re:vgct tags

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Oct 18 05:29:59 EST 2005

On Oct 15, 2005, at 2:00 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> As I understand, Microsoft will differ to osX in the way to set up
> things, as well as Linux will. The ICC did not try to cover such
> differences under one cover. If we find a way to include Linux OS
> specifics into the profile I would like to support it.

I don't have a problem with the differences or lack of universal
support for vcgt per se, just because these profiles aren't meant to
be portable. It's not like a printer where its behavior is the same
regardless of what machine it's moved to (so long as the drivers for
the printer cause the same behavior to occur); a display only works a
particular way depending on the video card it's attached to, so the
LUT information doesn't have to be in the profile. It just has to be
on that machine somewhere.

What I don't like on Windows is the potential for conflict. On
Windows, each display calibration product installs two applications.
The main application and a small startup applet whose sole purpose is
to find some preference file, read the LUT data from it, and apply it
to the video card. When you upgrade your calibration software, the
old one isn't automatically removed, which means you can have two
such startup applets on the machine running in conflict with each other.

On Mac OS, Apple took control of the situation by coming up with vcgt
and the display manager grabs the information from the currently
selected display profile and updates video card LUTs accordingly.

The trend in the future however is probably not video card LUT, but
display side LUT. So that too will take proprietary software, not OS
hardware agnostic software like Apple's display manager, because
there is no standard way to communicate to displays. So either
someone compels the display manufacturers to do this in a standard
way, or every developer will have to include display specific code to
do display LUT updating (which is currently the case and why it's a
problematic area).

The nice thing is that display side calibration totally bypasses the
video card mess on Windows, whereas on Mac OS there are standard ways
to communicate with video cards, unlike Windows and likely Linux/BSD
as well.

I think if this video card and display LUT to remain proprietary is a
driver requirement to translate some OS specific settings language
into whatever proprietary signals are need to achieve a result. Thus
the "standard" as it were, it OS specific, rather than at the whim of
the display companies. Unless you get Microsoft to tie that kind of
functionality to their Windows logo usage, I don't think display
companies will budge an inch.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor