[Openicc] Do we want /usr/local/share/color/icc as a third profile directory ?

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Nov 26 09:45:32 PST 2005

Am 26.11.05, 11:27 -0600 schrieb Bob Friesenhahn:

> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > >
> > > So, I agree with Kai-Uwe's proposed two *Linux standard* directories,
> > > but
> > > packages should use $PREFIX/share/color/icc for formally installed
> > > profiles
> > > and should not require that anything be installed in "OS" directories
> > > unless
> > > they are configured to do so.
> >
> > Then the application has to make shure its path is known to Oyranos. By
> > a:
> > oyPathAdd( $PREFIX/share/color/icc ); call
>
> While most Linux users are used to having complete control over their machine,
> there are other environments where the person who installs the software does
> not have administrative authority for the machine. In fact, the content of
> official-seeming paths may be quite unusable and full of junk.  So it is
> necessary to establish a Linux paths standard, but also ensure sane behavior
> from packages which are installed to a different path due to administrative
> reasons.
>
> Linux is just one operating system among many.  It is a Unix-type system.  So
> while standard paths should be established for Linux distributions,
> independently maintained packages which target POSIX (rather than just Linux)
> systems need to use a common design which exactly supports the Linux paths
> when formally installed, but ensures sane operation when installed to some
> other location.

I dont understand if your above text is a confirmation or want to bring
an additional aspect to attention?

Maybe a commandline tool should help a arbitrarily installed package to
tell Oyranos about the path it intents to install its profiles. something
like:
oyranos-add-path --path_name="$PREFIX/share/color/icc"
[--key_name="sane_profile_path"]

Would this help? It adds the path once and system specific. The package
had not to think about the configuration.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas