[Openicc] Do we want /usr/local/share/color/icc as a third profile directory ?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Nov 26 10:32:40 PST 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>> Linux is just one operating system among many.  It is a Unix-type system.  So
>> while standard paths should be established for Linux distributions,
>> independently maintained packages which target POSIX (rather than just Linux)
>> systems need to use a common design which exactly supports the Linux paths
>> when formally installed, but ensures sane operation when installed to some
>> other location.
>
> I dont understand if your above text is a confirmation or want to bring
> an additional aspect to attention?

It is both. :-)

> Maybe a commandline tool should help a arbitrarily installed package to
> tell Oyranos about the path it intents to install its profiles. something
> like:
> oyranos-add-path --path_name="$PREFIX/share/color/icc"
> [--key_name="sane_profile_path"]

My point is that if Oyranos is installed to use a different
installation prefix (other than /usr), that it should not
automatically (by default) look in /usr/share/color/icc at all.  When
the package is formally installed, an option could be supplied to look
there by default as well but this decision is made by someone who is
familiar with the target environment.  Oyranos is just one package.
The convention to use should be established across similar packages.

In large organizations I have seen an administration heirarchy that
looks like:

  o machine/network administrators (always have root)

  o software/tools administrators (sometimes have root, limited rights)

  o end users (hardly ever have root)

So it may be that the software is installed by a high-level
administrator, or the software may be installed by an
intermediate-level administrator.

If the software is installed on a network server, then one
installation of the software and profiles can serve 5000 hosts, which
serve 5000 (or more) user accounts.  In this case, it is highly
unlikely that the software will appear directly under /usr, and it is
unlikely that the administrator will want any random files on the
system interfering with consistent package operation.

Bob