[Openicc] mixed colour space documents

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Nov 28 10:07:37 PST 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 10:09 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> So my conclusion is, the mixed colour space document option is
> still valid
> but should be renamed. What wold be useful?
>
> Saving Mixed colour space documents
> For Print:
>    Preserve Numbers | Flatten to Default Cmyk Editing Space | Promt
> For Screen:
>    Flatten to WWW (sRGB) | Flatten to Default RGB Editing Space |
> Promt
>
> The first option for the Print setting is similiar to PDF/X-3 the
> second
> to PDF/X-1a.

I don't follow this. The first option for print specifies conversion
to CMYK. That is a PDF/X-1a convention. PDF/X-1a is early binding and
is designed to produce a PDF that is very output device (or
condition) specific.

The screen example is a normalized workflow where you put everything
into a single reference color space. It's more like PDF/X-1a than PDF/
X-3, except that PDF/X-1a doesn't allow RGB.

PDF/X-3 is also output device/condition specific. If the output
device is CMYK then you can have /Device CMYK and /Device Gray, as
well as ICCBased color (RGB, CMYK, Gray, LAB) and also optional spot.
If the output device is RGB then you can have /Device RGB and /Device
Gray, as well as ICCBased colors (RGB, CMYK, Gray, LAB) and optional
spot. The most common form of PDF/X-3 is the CMYK output condition
specific variety, which contains device dependent (untagged) text and
other native elements but contains RGB tagged images for later
separation downstream and is hence late binding. Perhaps it's better
called later binding, but you get the idea.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor