[Openicc] Do we want /usr/local/share/color/icc as a third profile directory ?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Nov 28 10:44:15 PST 2005

Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>
>> If CUPS is worried about security, then ordinary users can not be
>> allowed to update the CUPS profile directory, and CUPS may not trust
>> profiles which are attached to print jobs.  This seems self-defeating
>> to me.
>
> This is currently a problem on Windows were only admins are allowed to
> add/remove profiles from the only profiles directory. So regular end
> users can't add/remove profiles. The solution is that essentially no one
> logs in as anything other than admin user which then opens the machine
> to security problems.
>
> Adding/removing profiles is a necessary and regular task for regular,
> non-admin users. Any OS needs to respect that requirement.

In the context of CUPS, there are two specific ways we will support
color profiles: "source" profiles embedded in documents and
"destination" profiles stored on the server and used in the
rendering/printer driver stage.

Administrators can provide write access to individual users (or
groups of users) to the destination profiles in
/usr/share/cups/profiles in a variety of ways, including through
the use of symbolic links to the users' home directories.