[Openicc] Do we want /usr/local/share/color/icc as a third profile directory ?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Nov 28 10:01:03 PST 2005

On Nov 26, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> If CUPS is worried about security, then ordinary users can not be
> allowed to update the CUPS profile directory, and CUPS may not
> trust profiles which are attached to print jobs.  This seems self-
> defeating to me.

This is currently a problem on Windows were only admins are allowed
to add/remove profiles from the only profiles directory. So regular
end users can't add/remove profiles. The solution is that essentially
no one logs in as anything other than admin user which then opens the
machine to security problems.

Adding/removing profiles is a necessary and regular task for regular,
non-admin users. Any OS needs to respect that requirement.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor