[Openicc] X-Rite to aquire GreytagMacbeth

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Wed Feb 1 12:12:19 PST 2006

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 03:57 am, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> > So for monitor-profiling, we should look may better at the
> > colorvision-instruments:
>
> Any particular reason ? From the web sites, there's no indication
> that interface information is available for these instruments.
>
> The "ColorVision PrintFIX" is certainly not comparable to
> a spectrometer (As I understand it, it's a modified RGB scanner.)
>
> Experience in the past (as well as fundamental technical issues)
> also don't paint LED based spectrometers in a good light either
> (Of course they tend to be more affordable instruments.)
>
> The Datacolor products appear to be spot reading only, not
> suitable for reading thousands of patches in a chart.
>
> It's hard to know where the Avantes AvaMouse (aka SpectroCam)
> stands. It had a reputation of being a little temperamental
> in the past, and the Xenon light source seems to be of mixed benefit.
> There doesn't seem to be anything comparable to the i0 on offer
> to work with it, and little sign of new product development.
>
> A lot of these instruments can be very useful, but generally
> seem to be "second tier" compared to Xrite and GMB.
>
> Graeme Gill.

I have been in contact with a number of these companies over the past 7
months.

For a time Avantes had a "Linux SDK" for the AvaMouse/SpectroCam.  But this is
no longer available and the version I have is x86 only.   So it is of little
use in the real world.  The license included in the tarball is GPL but the
actual driver source code was not included.   On their web site now is
something called the avaspec linux driver.  This is source code only but the
licensing information in the tarball is very poorly done as parts of it
appear to be open source with a GPL license and other parts the license is
not stated and there is no licensing information in the high level
directories of the tarball.   I am also not sure if this will work for the
AvaMouse/SpectroCam.  In addition, I have not been able to get it to build on
my system since it uses and odd ball build system that I can't get to work
and appears to have been designed for building Java systems.

A few months ago I started talks with GMB and for a while they seemed
interested then about mid December they stopped communicating with me.  I now
suspect that this is because of the merger.   In the mean time I found out
that GMB does have Linux drivers for the i1 (it supports both the i1 Pro and
Display).   My last communication with them was to request a copy of this.  I
was told by my contact that he would look into it and at that point they
stopped communicating.

I am in talks right now with X-Rite.  At this point I have no indications of
how receptive they are but they have not told me to go away and the form that
I filled out for them did list Unix as a platform and I checked other and
then wrote in POSIX as my platform.   So I don't know if it will go anywhere
but this is in the very early stages.

I have in the last few days approached ColorVision as well but I don't know if
or how they will respond.  I also agree with Graeme that these devices are of
lower quality than are the X-Rite and GMB devices.  But if they are willing
to work with OSS projects then I will work with them as this may be all that
we will have available.

At this point I am not particularly optimistic.  The Avantes device is a
reflection only device for those of us in the US because of patents held by
GMB.  The AvaMouse/SpectroCam is of limited usefullness even if drivers
existed because of this.  In addition Avantes is a tiny company with less
than 30 employees.   GMB as a separate entity will not exist in a few months
and X-Rite will have an effective monoply.   I think we should all keep our
fingers crossed that X-Rite is open to working with the OSS community.

Having worked for a company that went through several mergers while I was
there I know that both X-Rite and GMB are in a state of turmoil right now (at
least internally).  The information about the merger on the X-Rite site says
that they expect to reduce combined operating expenses by $25 million per
year ($20 million in the second year).  From my experience that means that
they will be closing some facilities and laying off 100 to 150 people,
possibly more (10% to 20% of their work force).   Neither of these companies
are very large and the information I have on GMB is that they have 340
employees world wide.  Right now there is a high level of uncertainty for
those employed at both companies.  This is particularly true for those with
middle management positions since you can basically count on almost half of
them not having jobs with the merged company in a year.  Unfortunately these
are the folks that we need to work with and they will likely be very
reluctant to do anything that might involve even the perception of risk.

Sorry for the gloomy forcast.  I wish the situation were different.

Hal