[Openicc] X-Rite to aquire GreytagMacbeth

Gerhard Fuernkranz nospam456 at gmx.de
Fri Feb 3 14:04:49 PST 2006

Graeme Gill wrote:
> At one stage the Spectrocam SDK was supporting Linux, but it's hard to
> say where that is at, now that it's been taken over by Avantes.
I had used with this Linux SDK, and had also written a prototype for
interfacing the Spectrocam to Argyll's abstract instrument library (in
reflective mode only) one or two years ago. Basically I can scan charts
with printread, but it does not yet work perfectly (I.e. frequently I
need to rescan a strip, because it fails. I'm not sure, whether I'm
using the API wrongly, or whether it's a bug in the SDK, but I must
admit, that I had spent only very little time on analyzing the problem).

However, the SDK seems not to be actively maintained. It is several
years old, and I'm not aware of a new version. Thus it also does not
support the new USB models, since they did not yet exist at that time.
There is an open source GUI-based sample application included, but two
libraries are binary only (x86). Both libs are C++ libs (though IMO C++
seems to be unnecessary for the low-level lib, since its API is a C API
only). Unfortunately, g++ is not ABI compatible (binary compatible)
between different versions. So I was only able to compile programs which
need to be linked against these libraries with an old gcc 2.95.3, and
failed to build them with more recent gcc versions.

Regards,
Gerhard