[Openicc] [cairo] Creating CMYK and spot colors

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Thu May 17 03:16:39 PDT 2007

Hello list,
As an colormanagement consultant, monitoring the openICC list, I´m happy
that colormanagement in cairo is now dicussed. I believe, that a working
support for ICC-profiles in cairo would be a big step forward for
professional handling of colors in LINUX environments.

I think a good way for implementing more sophisticated color into cairo
would be first to concentrate on workflows, where all parts/objects of
an document must have the same colorspace (described by an ICC-profile)

The job of cairo would be to translate this flat color document to
several output formats (Bytemaps, PDF, PS) and tag the output file with
the valid ICC-profile.

The colortransformation from the cairo-output to the output-device
(monitor, printer, file processor) is handled outside cairo.

If eg. a CMYK document is rendered to a CMYK bytemap for viewing on the
monitor it must be converted to RGB.
Lets assume, that CMYK bitmap provides by cairo has an embedded
SWOP-profile.
The bitmap is than processed by littleCMS. If there is an valid monitor
profile in the system, little CMS transforms the CMYK-bytetmap from SWOP
to monitor-RGB. If there no valid monitor profile, little CMS uses sRGB
as target profile.
For standard CMYK colorspaces, littleCMS could cache standard conversion
to the monitor-profile or to sRGB for faster processing.

For PDF-output the CMYK-profile from the cairo document is embedded as
outputintent and all objcets in PDF-file are DeviceCMYK.

For printing output, we should define a mechanism, that either littleCMS
could be triggered, if cairo delivers a bytemap or cairo delivers the
document only with embedded profile for processing in the printing
application (CUPS, etc.)

For defining standard RGB and CMYK profiles for cairo, Oyranos would be
a good place.

If it is possible to work in cairo with flatcolor documents defines by
an ICC-profile with monitor-output, print-output and PDF-generation, we
can look forward how to handle workflows, where every object can have
his own profile and rendering intent.

But be prepared, that this is even by the big vendors like Adobe, Apple,
Microsoft a field on ongoing research. E.g. Adobe introduced for
CreativeSuite 2 the colormamagement policy "preserve CMYK numbers" which
deactivates embbeded profiles in placed CMYK-objects in InDesign and
Illustrator.

Regards
Jan-Peter

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18