[Openicc] CC Profiles In X... Printer linearization

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Jan 16 04:34:07 PST 2008

Hello list
Currently I´m quite busy to to take care on long e-mail discussion. But
as also ronald stated, the linearization is even as or more important
than individual profiling.
 From my point of view, the most interesting approach for the
linearization of digital printing systems is called G7, because it
concentrates on a shared visual appearance for different printing
technologies and media types.
Originally, it was developed for linearizing offset presses in the US,
but it can easily be adapted to all kind of printing technologies incl.
desktop inkjet printers.
A lot of technical informations and testcharts for the i1 can be
downloaded from http://www.gracol.org/
As the G7 technology will also be described in an ISO technical report
about calibration technolgies for printing systems, it can be
implemented without the fear of licensing fees.

But as the US non profit organization http://www.idealliance.org has a
trademark on G7, the term should not be referenced in applications
without contacting IDEAlliance before.
They are quite open to all activities around G7 and it should be no
problem to get the allowance to reference it in solutions for
linearizing desktop inkjet printers.

OSS projects, which wan´t to avoid  best possible any kind of trademark
issues can use of the term "near neutrals calibration" which will be
used in ISO TC 130 technical report.

On the other hand, a project to implement G7 for desktop inkjet printers
could may get some support from IDEAlliance in form of promotion on
their website and in their newsletter which is worldwide quite important
for a lot of professionals in the graphic arts.

As G7 or the near neutrals calibration approach concentrates on
gradation for black and CMY and also for CMY gray balance, it can be
easy combined with generic ICC profiles.

It would also be possible to create references for a visual
linearization / calibration approach:
- The user prints out gray test patches (K and CMY) and compares it with
a printed reference. The number of patches which matches best the
reference will be typed in the linearization software and the printing
system is linearized / calibrated by the eye. The production of the
reference samples could be done on a inkjet printer, which is calibrated
with an i1 pro.
So there is no big investment to do this.

If someone is interested to go further in this direction, I could give
some input from the perspective of an colormanagement consultant. For
doing some validation tests I have an Epson Photo R2400 here (and also
Epson SP 3800 and SP 4800)

If You need direct contact to the G7 people, you can also contact me.
But sometimes, I´m quite busy.

Regards
Jan-Peter

***********   Neue Adresse / new adress   ************