[Openicc] KDE CMS

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Jan 29 10:09:52 PST 2008

Am 29.01.08, 18:43 +0100 schrieb Cyrille Berger:

> First, let me clarify a few things, from the KDE point of view :
> * consistency with how Gnome settings are displayed is unimportant, seriously
> the only reason you would want that is to ease transition from KDE to Gnome
> (or vice-versa), the person doing that will have to learn so many new things
> that it doesn't matter if the color management dialog is different, like it
> doesn't matter if Gimp UI is different from Krita or Cinepaint or Photoshop

As long as we speak about CM here we differ in opinions. Users expect
expectations be meet.

> * consistency with how other settings are set in KDE is *important*, we can
> safely assume that if the
> * what is really important is that if I change color management settings in
> KDE SystemSettings (or Gnome equivalent), they are changed in Gimp, CinePaint
> and Krita (that's what ouranos is about)

Yes, agreed.

> > > The goal in KDE4 is to make SystemSettings (the replacement of KControl)
> > > the *central* place for settings of your computer, and not limited to KDE
> > > settings. That means, that in the future, distribution settings will be
> > > available in SystemSettings, that's more or less a merge of KDE3's
> > > KControl with YaST, Guidance or whatever your distribution use. In short,
> > > for ICC settings, that mean all settings should be available through
> > > system settings.
> >
> > What about the screensaver case? The panel shows common tasks inside
> > the window. That would be fairly well meet the Oyranos policy selection
> > widget. It's a text choice.
> >
> > Other things can then appear in a different window after button press. We
> > just had to figure out how this widget comes into existence - by a system
> > call or whatever.
> I guess there is something I don't get. I add assumed that the "policy" were
> some sort of configuration files, are they code plugins ?

The policy setting is exposed in the first Oyranos configuration panels
tab:
http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Oyranos_Configuration_Dialog#Policy

> > Of course the CMS settings can be an icon in SystemSettings only and come
> > up in a own dialog window.
> That wouldn't be consistent with the other part of SystemSettings.

So I must assume the other SystemSettings dialogs are embedded?

> > As long as we talk about the UI part, I am still not aware of a problem as
> > long as Oyranos can decide about the inner logic, like widget grouping.
> I don't really understand why is it important that oyranos have impact on UI
> and widget grouping.

... in order to create a pattern of user expectations.

For instance the proofing profile can appear in the "Default Profile"
section or in the "Proofing Settings". User would expect this to be
consitent across GUI's.

Oyranos aims to coordinate this a bit and provides a layout logic. It is
completely up to KDE how to display the sections. This way we would work
on a open source CMS.
A KDE panel with some underlying common Linux bits is a minimalistic goal.
It will take years to become it right, when we dont start right.

Sorry but I must always remember the USB case. One device bus and every
distribution handling USB different. This was unfortune. Luckily it seems
to be sorted out now. But how many years did this take?

> > I'd guess books are best to reprint in the original order of their
> > sections with very few exceptions.
> I like my books to use the same fonts and style on all pages ;)

.. as long as the book sections keep intact, there is no problem with
someone selection different fonts and styles in a reprint ;-)