[Openicc] Questions about ... CM for Displays

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Feb 13 00:46:46 PST 2008

Am 13.02.08, 09:21 +0100 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:

> Hello list,
> Concerning colormanagement to the display, we have following use cases:
> 1) all content shown on the display has the same colorspace e.g. sRGB
> This could be colormanagemed by LUTS in the Video-Card or in in the monitor

.. but is not sufficient as the primaries are not at all affected by LUTs.
This is the sole point of having something in X to do CM there.

> 2) different windows showing content in differnt colorspace
> This could be colormanagement by the Desktop (e.g. KDE or Gnome)

Yes, toolkits should support or at better pass CM through.

> 3) Complex documents are presented in a window. But the objects have
> different profiles
> This must be colormanagemed by the application itself (e.g. Layout
> application or PDF viewer)

Yes, this seems the best approach for that.

> If we are thinking abou a colormanagement architecture, we always have
> to look how this three cases work together.

Well, if we would find developers willing to help with the Oyranos
underpinnings, we could bring this to life.
For now I am fiddeling with other stuff, and progress keeps very slow.