[Openicc] shared-color-profiles issues [was: new/old ICC profile package]

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Aug 30 13:41:17 PDT 2010

Am 30.08.10, 20:05 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 30 August 2010 18:16, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> The AUTHORS file is irritating. Did you create all those profiles?
>> Who created the profiles in the Argyll folder.
>> You place on top of the package the GPL license, while the date is primarly
>> public domain and zlib. Do you only target at Fedora? Than thats maybe ok.
>
> Each profiles directory has a LICENSE and README file. If you want to
> add any of your contact details in profiles/Oyranos/AUTHORS or
> profiles/Oyranos/README that's fine for me, and probably the correct
> thing to do if you want to be listed there. The same can be said for
> the Argyllcms profiles.

Agreed for the Oyranos README.

However the Argyll_V1.1.0_src.zip package downloaded from
www.argyllcms.com does not contain any ICC profile. Moreover I doubt
that Argyll writes 'lcms' inside the profile as Creator.

As well the Argyll LICENSE file is incomplete.

> I don't target this just at Fedora, it's already used by Suse and
> Novell, and it's intended as a general purpose project. At one point
> Ubuntu was going to ship this too; I'm not sure if they actually did
> or not.

Some profiles appear to be distributed under GPL. Users are embedding
these ICC profiles into their own images. Thats a issue for them.

It would be good for Fedora to correct that situation. Of course Oyranos
shall not require the shared-color-profiles package in its current form
during installation.