[Openicc] ISO - Open vs. Free (was Linux CM ideology)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Feb 11 16:44:14 PST 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Small correction - W3C charges for Membership, yes.
>
> Comments are solicited and accepted from the Public at all stages of standard development. without charge (your comment seemsd to indicate that all participation at W3C was subject to a charge which, as you well know, is not correct).

I will agree with Leonard's comments. I commented a number of times on CSS2 and then CSS3 long time ago on the very antiquated section on gamma for various operating systems, and also on the proposed tags for CSS3 that would have allowed tagging without embedding, and how that needed to be cleaned up a bit. Nothing happened. No one changed anything. No one really said anything. No one seemed to understand what I was saying. And then finally after some time I mentioned it all again for CSS3 and what I was told was basically it was too late. They were pulling all of the color tags out of CSS3 because no browsers had implemented support for them, and yet they weren't removing the b.s. gamma section even though that has never been implemented by browsers either, and is also factually untrue, and not good advice anyway.

So what's old, wrong, and not implemented is what's in CSS3. What could have been useful with modifications, went no where.

So from my perspective, this expert's advice for the W3C totally fell on deaf ears. And considering it takes epochs for the W3C to get things done, it might be 20 years before there's another opportunity for a CSS3.5 or 4 the properly accounts for color.