[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux... (what is to do ?)

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 01:42:20 PST 2011

Look guys, Chris wrote the same thing in the first post of this thread
see below.

Chris spoke----------------

Could come in handy to enable proofing at a system level. But still
guys, I think we need to keep this implementation constrained and
realistic, not overly complicated. There's enough going on as it is,
and still some pretty basic considerations need to be agreed upon.
Basic considerations about system architecture, library dependencies,
databases, etc., that I know nothing about.

I think it's fine to think about a 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 version so that
your 1.0 implementation doesn't box you into an impossible rewrite
when it comes to 2.0 and 3.0. But really, unlike many things, there is
an "end in sight" for color management implementation. But the biggest
impediment is getting agreement about components. If everyone starts
making their own implementation, then it will be yet another fractured
color management system that won't work very well except with very
specific distributions. I don't think that's very interesting. I think
fixing the problems most people have is interesting.