[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux... (what is to do ?)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Feb 18 02:14:04 PST 2011

Am 18.02.11, 10:42 +0100 schrieb edmund ronald:
> Look guys, Chris wrote the same thing in the first post of this thread
> see below.

We fairly agreed about implicite colour management as the first stage. At
this level DeviceRGB and nothing else in the PDF, especially
no OutputIntent, will be handled as sRGB. If there are other colour
attributes in the PDF those could be recommened based upon tests.
The contraints are the PDF spec, a pdftoraster filter, which does the
magic through cupsICCProfile for vendor side device ICC profiles and
assumedly Ghostscript/Poppler + lcms.

The only open issue for that simplest print ICC colour management to
happen successfully, is to fix the rendering intent bugs. I would
recommend to use Perceptual or Relative colorimetric + BPC as a default,
as the current Relative colorimetric without BPC gives cut off dark tones.

(BPC - Black Point Compensation is available in lcms.)

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:
>> There's a really simple way of providing what you seem to want
>> Edmund - HP & Microsoft solved it for you quite a while ago. Simple
>> interchange everything as sRGB. That's what all the consumer and
>> office stuff currently tries to do, so I guess there's no
>> problem to be solved here.

agreed