[Openicc] Named color profiles

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Apr 11 15:38:57 PDT 2011

On Apr 11, 2011, at 12:04 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:

> On 11 April 2011 18:41, Max Derhak <max.derhak at onyxgfx.com> wrote:
>> BTW - One thing that we are addressing in (ICC labs - aka ICC.2) is the
>> ability to encode spectral information in a revised form of Named Color
>> Profile.
>
> Yup, that sounds great. Are you also going to drop the per-NC device
> value and just rely on the PCS value? I'm not sure the device values
> for a NC makes much sense at all.

The device values are optional. They make sense if the device is very consistent, and the conventional conversion from PCS to device values through an output device profile is not ideal - which is not uncommon. The device values allow someone to fine tune the resulting simulation of the named color. It's a tedious sort of enterprise but it has some merit for those who want to go that route.