[Openicc] GoSoC 2011... Summary Pane

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed May 11 23:21:10 PDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 11:13 PM, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> Hello all,
> if we are printing under Mac OS X with applications based printer color management, we would need a summary pane, which would talk with both to application and the printer drivers and pulls the configurations settings from both.
> Furthermore, the OS functions for the summary pane should provide an interface that developers of applications and printer drivers can validate, that the exchange of settings functions proper.
>
> Does the Mac OSX summary pane delivers such functionalities for developers ?

Yes, the PDE plug-in interface includes a summary method that allows a plugin (from the printer driver, printing system, or the application) to supply information to display in the summary pane.

However, I would caution against providing any plug-in interface on Linux due to the number of architectures involved. Better to focus on creating a good system interface that doesn't depend on an application or printer driver to provide the color management infrastructure...