[Openicc] JFIF, SPIFF and CMYK + ICC Support

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Oct 10 01:45:14 PDT 2012

Hello list,
During working on book project, I´m doing a research about fileformats
and the supported colorspaces incl. embedding of ICC-profiles.

 From the enduser perspective, photoshop offers to save images in the
"JPEG-Format" supporting RGB and CMYK with embedded profiles.

Googling the Specs I found, thet JPEG is mainly a compression and
fileformats are another case.

I found the JFIF specification, which can be uses for RGB-images only
and encodes color internally as YCC.
I also found part 3 of the JPEG specs, which introduces additionales
color spaces and the SPIFF File Format.

If anybody could please comment or correct following statements:

- If CMYK images are stored as "JPEG-File", it means that a SPIFF
conforming file is created
- The standard-format for saving JPEG compressed RGB images is JFIF
- SPIFF also allows to store RGB-images with embedded ICC-Profile, but
this seldom used in daily practice
- An application, which can handle both RGB and CMYK JPEG compressed
images, supports normally JFIF and SPIFF

Thanks for the help
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------