[Openicc] JFIF, SPIFF and CMYK + ICC Support

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Oct 10 07:20:00 PDT 2012

Jan-Peter,

You might also want to look at Exif which defines the subset of JPEG (and JFIF) used for digital cameras (addresses the simple sRGB vs. AdobeRGB color space choices):

	http://www.cipa.jp/english/hyoujunka/kikaku/pdf/DC-008-2010_E.pdf

and the Sun/Oracle specification for embedding ICC profiles in JPEG/JFIF files:

	http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/imageio/metadata/doc-files/jpeg_metadata.html

In my experience from doing the CUPS image support, at least some versions of Adobe apps write CMYK images as JFIF files with the color information converted to RGBW (via simple inversion).  Applications that support CMYK JFIF files have to go through hoops to determine whether the Adobe APPn chunk is present in the JFIF file and adjust the color values accordingly.