[Openicc] Wrong color output of Xerox printer - Color Management problem?

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Nov 21 01:41:54 PST 2012

Hello all,
Under Mac OSX, the interactions of application based color management,
OS-Colormanagement, CUPS and driver based colormanagement are
intransparent, bad documented and very hard to troubleshoot.

I know several color professionals, which are avoiding Mac OS X and CUPS
color management by generating PDF-files direkt from the application
(if the application can do this on its own...) and put this PDF into a
hotfolder of an external RIP.

Some hints to trouble shoot the problem:

Application and document
- Which application has been used for printing
- which kind of document has been printed
- does the document may contains placed content e.g. images with
mebedded ICC-profiles ?

Changes in CUPS and GhotsScript:
- Can any on please decribe, what has changed in CUPS and GhostScript
concerning color management ?
- do we have any pre setted color transformations in the new setup ?
(e.g. sRGB-data is converted to SWOP, if a CMYK printer is used...)
- do we have any ICC profile tagging on PDF object level
(this is something, which happens under Mac OS X, if the applications
delivers DeviceRGB PDF objcets to the Mac OSX / CUPS print chain...)
- does the setup adds an PDF output intent to the print chain ?
- If yes, which output intent is used ?
- if yes, does GhostScript uses this output Intent for a color
transformation ?
- What kind of data is delivered from GhostScript to to the driver:
     - RGB bimap data whith the same RGB values as delivered from the
application without embedded ICC-profile
     - RGB bimap data whith the same RGB values as delivered from the
application with embedded ICC-profile
     - CMYK bimap data without embedded ICC-profile
     - CMYK bimap data with embedded ICC-profile

To troubleshoot this and comprable problems I would recommend to create:
- a set of open documents like e.g.
     - JPEG, TIFF images in RGB and CMYK with and without embedded profiles
     - PDF-files
     - HTML-document with placed RGB images without embedded profiles
and with embedded sRGB-profile
     - ODF document with placed RGB images without embedded profiles and
with embedded sRGB-profile
     - A CMYK document with placed CMYK-image from e.g. Krita

We than need a solution to analyze and compare
- which kind of PDF has been created from the test document which is
delivered through CUPS to GhostScript
- Which kind of bitmap file is created from this PDF-file by GhostScript
and delivered to the printer driver

Best regards
Jan-Peter