[Openicc] Setting copyright and licence in profiles

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 05:46:50 PST 2012

Hi all,

In shared-color-profiles we're now creating some of the RGB spaces
from raw values (e.g.
http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?WorkingSpaceInfo.html) and
I'm wondering what to do with the licensing and copyright information.

I don't think it's right we're currently trying to squash both the
copyright and licence into the same field. They are not the same thing
at all. For some profiles the concept of copyright just doesn't apply
at all.

What I'm tempted to do is set the profile copyright string to either
"No copyright" or just not set the cmsInfoCopyright tag at all.

I'm also proposing to add some DICT metadata, something like "Licence"
= "Public Domain"

Of course, in an ideal world we could have a proper cmsSigLicenceTag
tag that we could put mluc translations in. I don't know how feasible
that would be to get into the official specification, or maybe just to
get supported in LCMS2 as a semi-private tag.

Comments very welcome, thanks.

Richard.