[Openicc] Setting copyright and licence in profiles

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Fri Nov 23 16:43:59 PST 2012

Richard Hughes wrote:
> What I'm tempted to do is set the profile copyright string to either
> "No copyright" or just not set the cmsInfoCopyright tag at all.

It's a required tag. Yes, it's probably a mistake of the ICC
to make it required, but they all came from commercial
companies. But every profile needs a license to be usable,
and every licence needs copyright information to know
who is claiming the authority to set the license. But if the
copyright is public domain, then no explicit license
is required.

So the most logical thing is to treat it as a "Copyright and Licence" tag.