[Openicc] [Fwd: icm profiles in debian]

Chris Murphy chris at colorremedies.com
Sun Feb 3 15:27:29 PST 2013

On the matter of the importance of sRGB: that whole pool is almost irretrievably polluted by nonsense.

There are now dozens of sRGB profiles. They differ by filename, by description, by primaries, by white point, by ICC version number, by profile class, by TRC type, by TRC value, and by metadata. And that's before taking into account the various v4 profiles the ICC produces that do and don't have prm(g) based perceptual transforms, black point compensation baked in or not, and various other flavors.

So, it's just fakaked. I don't see a way around this. And yet another profile that's slightly different makes essentially no difference so how or when this mess gets unwound, if ever.

I think possibly the biggest problem with the colord sRGB  profile is that it's an ICC v4.30 profile, which means technically a v2 CMM must reject it. I don't see the advantage of v4 profile that doesn't take advantage of the v4 prmg transformation. The critical parts of the sRGB color space are definable in v2. The rest of the differences I've seen between the colord version and the 1998 HP/Microsoft "official" version, seem pretty minor.