[Openicc] [Fwd: icm profiles in debian]

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Sun Feb 3 18:07:53 PST 2013

edmund ronald wrote:

>  My suggestion is we change the color system so as to be able to designate
> some profiles once and for all as core profiles.  I don't think random
> distributions or indeed users should be required or allowed to swap it out
> easily as it defines the *metrics* of color on our system. Physicists don't
> swap out the meter or kilogram for licensing reasons either.

You seem to be confusing the sRGB colorspace with ICC profiles. They are
not the same thing. There are a multitude of ways one could represent the
sRGB colorspace as an ICC profile, taking account of how one adapts between
the sRGB colorspace white point & viewing conditions and the ICC PCS white
point and viewing conditions. V4 adds additional flexibility, hence room for
variations.

But I will agree that it would simplify things a lot if there were a definitive
default sRGB profile to use as a known benchmark, particularly for diagnostics.
Since the original HP/Microsoft profile doesn't seem to have been adopted for
this purpose, I see no hope of ever achieving it now though.