[Openicc] Adding translated titles to ICC files?

Chris Murphy chris at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 20 09:48:56 PDT 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 2:19 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 March 2013 05:03, Chris Murphy <chris at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> Yeah I know, but let's go back to what these things even are, before deciding whether localization is helpful:
>
> There are instances in where showing the en_US filename is almost
> never the right thing to do, e.g. for the "X11 Colors" named color
> profile. It seems to me we actually want to use desc for the visible
> profile name (the summary, so to speak) and then use another MLUC tag
> for the actual description.

I'm OK with this.

> It seems like a hack, but both ModelDesc
> and MfgDesc can take localized text. Perhaps just including a link to
> something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProPhoto_RGB_color_space
> is what we want to do.

I'm OK with this also.

I'd break the tie with whichever is easier to implement. Coming up with all new reasonable length descriptive text for MLUC is more work, than just sticking a URL in that same location. If the wikipedia URL is expected to be reliable for 20 years, fine, use it.

> All test profiles, used for playing with the VCGT. I don't think they
> are installed by default.

I think they should have test in the name, at least. There's no chance the vcgt in such profiles can produce D65, D55, D50 white points on random displays. It's reasonable if they were: cool white, neutral white, warm white. But then we'd have some polly prissy pant's (including me on a Thursdays) wondering why D50 is considered warm. Nevertheless for most displays that would be true.

Chris