[packagekit] some things that are not quite right in 0.1.3

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 09:36:25 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 08:20 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Currently all packages will be in GROUP_OTHER if no comps data is
> available in the repo.
> It is a difficult case,  because there is can be comps.xml with group
> infomation for each repo, but it is not an error if one repo is
> missing a comps.xml, so it is a bad idea to raise an error.

Agree.

> The backend should not return any groups other than GROUP_OTHER, if no
> comps metadata exist.
> I think the problem is that we have hardcoded the available groups in
> the pk-backend-yum.c, maybe it is an idea to add a get-groups.py
> helper to return the available groups in the current active repo
> setup.

Yes. This is difficult to add as GetGroups was traditionally sync (as it
was just returning a cached string from the backend) but we can't just
do this async as there will be a nice race between pk_engine_get_groups
in the daemon finishing and the session application requesting
GetGroups.

Tim, could you add a get-groups.py file please, and spit out onto
stdout:

group applications
group system
group system-tools

of all the things yum supports. I'll work out how this fits into the
daemon race-free.

Thanks.