[packagekit] A new design update viewer

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Sun Jan 6 06:48:36 PST 2008

2008/1/6, Tim Lauridsen <tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com>:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
> > The concept of ignored updates is interesting and potentially complex.
> > It's a bit similar to just unchecking updates but not quite - I think
> > the idea is that the UI will never prompt for that given package +
> > version again (and it needs additional UI like "Reset Ignored Updates").
> > So I'd skip that feature for now in PackageKit.
> Maybe packagekit should be able to handle excludes.
>
> something like get_excludes & set_excludes to read/write a list of
> exclude wildcard to the backend.
>
> Then ignored updates can be implemented be adding the package name to
> the exclude list and reset ignored updates by removing the packagename
> from the exclude list.

There is an expectations vs actual behaviour problem with excludes in
package-based systems. Apple and Windows updates are feature-based
(they can touch multiple applications at once to chage their behaviour
together) while our distro updates are package-based. This leads to
excluding being only efective until another package pulls the ignored
one via its deps. So expected is "I ignored foo-2.1 so it's still
foo-2.0" while actual is "I ignored foo-2.1 but bar-0.0.2 pulled
foo-2.1 so it got upgraded anyway."

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution