[packagekit] A new design update viewer

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Jan 6 12:55:40 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 08:09 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
>

> > The concept of ignored updates is interesting and potentially complex.
> > It's a bit similar to just unchecking updates but not quite - I think
> > the idea is that the UI will never prompt for that given package +
> > version again (and it needs additional UI like "Reset Ignored Updates").
> > So I'd skip that feature for now in PackageKit.
>
> Maybe packagekit should be able to handle excludes.
>
> something like get_excludes & set_excludes to read/write a list of
> exclude wildcard to the backend.
>
> Then ignored updates can be implemented be adding the package name to
> the exclude list and reset ignored updates by removing the packagename
> from the exclude list.
>
> but we need place to store the list of ignored updated, so we know what
> to remove from the exclude list, so it wont mess with excludes add by hand.

Implementing the hypothetical "ignored updates" PackageKit feature via
yum's exclude system (for the yum backend) sounds interesting. I think,
however, I'd just implement this client side and store the configuration
data in the users desktop session (e.g. gconf). I'd also focus on
ignoring just a specific version of a specific package, e.g.

 hal-0.5.10-1.fc9

because I think that's what people expect (e.g. the user is waiting for
an even newer version of the package). This approach has the benefit
that it would be packaging system agnostic.  The obvious drawback that
it is per-user.. which I think is fine. Can't think of real use cases
where you'd want to use wildcards from the UI.

Anyway, I'd suggest to hold this feature for a bit until the basics are
working nicely..

       David