[packagekit] RFC - easy install/remove

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 10 23:49:39 PST 2008

Peter Nash wrote:
> It's hard... i imagine it is... but this would be the ultimate tool for getting new users into Linux... In my IMHO it's the only big lack Linux presently has... :(

I think you have it all turned upside down.
Linux is not windows and it should not be.
The remove software "Feature" in windows is just a link to uninstaller
applications, installed by the software, so it is up to each pieces of
software
to cleanup after itself, and when you run the uninstaller is might
disappear from the list, but there is i many cases a lot of crap left in
the system.
it is just like installing software from source on a linux system, the
it is up to each application makefile to uninstall the files.
example try to remove IE from a windows system :)
On most modern linux distribution there is a cental database that
contain information about the installed packages and there relation to
other packages, so they can be removed, updated etc.
This is way more advanced than windows will ever be.

* Linux is not just a free OS,  there is supposed to work just like
windows, is something much better and much more advandced.
* You don't have to surf half the internet to find application and
updates, you got it all on a silver plate.
* if replace my cycle with a car, i dont expect them to work the same
way, but both can get me from A to B.
* There is nothing wrong in used to get educated and learn new better
ways, instead of old bad habits :)

By the way, on Fedora you can just install the 'yum-remove-with-leaves'
plugin, it will remove no longer used dependencies when removing a
piece of software.

Sorry for the rant :)

Tim