[packagekit] RFC - easy install/remove

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett dmacvicar at suse.de
Mon Nov 17 01:59:25 PST 2008

Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> You don't only want to remove the first level/direct dependencies, but
> also all recursive ones. So this is should clearly be done by the
> backend. Even handling all direct dependencies is out of scope for
> packagekit itself.

And it is also a "best effort" operation and not a predictable operation.

in ZYpp, since we got package history support, and we record if the
package comes from a user or solver
decision, it may be possible to handcraft some algorithms that given the
package state plus this history can figure out
what software may be proposed for removal.

Duncan