[packagekit] GetMimeTypes API addition?

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 6 04:14:38 PDT 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 12:06 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>> pk group (a group of packages, with an hardcoded groupname)
>> meta-package (a group of packages with an custom name)
>> collection (a group of packages with an custom name)
>> category (a branch in a tree to link collections to)
>
> No, I think this is more accurate:
>
> Enumerated group: small number of groups of packages with hardcoded name
> Collection: meta group of packages as a package
> Category: custom group containing a number of packages or other groups

What about this one
Category: custom group containing a number of collections or categories.

>> I see the categories like the tree and the collections is fruit hanging
>> on the tree.
>
> I don't think you need to enforce the difference. The fruit are the
> packages, and the tree is the categories.
>
> I really don't think you need two methods and two signals just to set up
> a tree structure.

Get collection can give you all the information to build the tree, but
splitting it up will transfer less data because you first get the
categories and can draw the tree and the get the content then you select
  an node in the tree.

The collection signal could be used for categories to, the category
signal is like the collection signal without the grpid param

> Let me play with some code, and then I'll post to the list for review
> (and then you can rip my idea to shreds :-)

  cool

Tim