[packagekit] backend 0.4.x and 0.5.x compatibility

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Aug 28 10:01:28 PDT 2009

>>> Since PolicyKitOne isn't released, and maybe won't be available
>>> for a long time since it requires (pre-release) glib >= 2.21.4,
>>
>> Sure it it -- it's had quite a few releases. Just because stuff
>> depends on unstable releases of libraries, doesn't mean it's not been
>> released. I was playing with it in Fedora 11 and now use it every day
>> using F12 alpha.
>

> Says that is parallel-installable though, so it's mostly about glib21.
> (found details on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/
> PolicyKitOne)

I packaged up the "stable" versions, that is PackageKit 0.4 and friends.
But it only has the dummy backend (and smart too but), before
backported.

For the "unstable" versions (0.5), it seems like OS not having the
newest
PolicyKit or the new DeviceKit is a problem both for PackageKit and
GNOME.

> I still support 0.4.x and 0.5.x, but 0.4.x is is feature freeze and
> bug-fix only mode. 0.5.x is where all the cool new stuff happens.
> 0.4.x will be deprecated when 0.6.0 is released.

So for the moment it will just have to make do with the old uncool stuff
and run with PackageKit 0.4.x and with GNOME Power Manager 2.24 even
though
the rest of the GNOME desktop stuff is of a newer version (2.26)
already.
But maybe for the GNOME 2.28 release, someone will have ported them
over ?

It's still possible to run the backend package managers directly of
course,
possibly using their GTK+ or Qt interfaces - instead of PK's GNOME/
KDE...
But it does seem easier to backport just the backend to the old PK
version,
than to wait until all the new dependencies have been ported to
another OS  ?

--anders

stable
======