[packagekit] Package size

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:24:06 PDT 2009

Hi,

That's surely a minor issue but I just realized package size is used
as "Download size" when a package is not installed and as "Installed
size" when installed. That's true for binary distribution but for
source based, we know download size but we surely can't say download
size = installed size.

I don't think calculating installed file size is a good idea (it can
take a long time) so is it possible to add a special 'bytes' value in
details signal ? Like SIZE_UNKNOWN. It could be a way to prevent
printing package size. By the way, this "special value" could be
needed even for not installed packages like packages based on
repositories which size is not known.
I see something like "Download size: unknown" when not installed and
only not print "installed size" if installed.

What's your opinion ?

Thanks,
Mounir