[packagekit] A new update viewer

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 03:59:24 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 15:43 +0000, James Westby wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 14:49 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > New screenshot attached. Comments welcome. I'm going to start merging
> > bits of this into master, but with a new executable name
> > gpk-update-viewer2. When we're all happy with the way it works we'll
> > remove the old one.
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> What are the icons in the left-most column? My best guess is that this
> is "reboot required" and "session restart required", but I feel that
> they are too difficult to express as icons, and perhaps not important
> enough to be given that positioning.

We were thinking that some people avoid updates if a restart is
required, and it was quite important data.

> On a similar note, does there need to be an icon for each package
> explaining what stage that update is at? It seems to me that just
> having the progress bar would be good enough. I assume the progress
> is per-stage though. While the icon suggests that there are multiple
> stages to go through, it doesn't give a clue as to how many stages there
> are going to be, so it doesn't give much benefit in that respect.

Yes, it's because package systems suck. Most do this:

download a
download b
download c
install a
install c
install b
cleanup c
cleanup b
cleanup a

When in an ideal world (from a GUI point of view) they would do:

download a, install a, cleanup a
download b, install b, cleanup b
download c, install c, cleanup c

> What is under the "More details" drop-down?

Screenshot attached. We've thinking some of the bugzilla type data
belongs in the textbox as clickable links. Ideas welcome.