[packagekit] A new update viewer

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Mar 3 04:26:12 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 11:59 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> We were thinking that some people avoid updates if a restart is
> required, and it was quite important data.

OK, I don't think it's as important as the placing would suggest, and
I think icons are not a great way to present it.

> > On a similar note, does there need to be an icon for each package
> > explaining what stage that update is at? It seems to me that just
> > having the progress bar would be good enough. I assume the progress
> > is per-stage though. While the icon suggests that there are multiple
> > stages to go through, it doesn't give a clue as to how many stages there
> > are going to be, so it doesn't give much benefit in that respect.
>
> Yes, it's because package systems suck. Most do this:

Well yes, but you didn't really address my concerns.

> > What is under the "More details" drop-down?
>
> Screenshot attached. We've thinking some of the bugzilla type data
> belongs in the textbox as clickable links. Ideas welcome.

I think that's fine. A couple of points if I may:

  * It took me a moment of reading the version string to
    understand what "Updates:" meant, would "Installed Version:"
    or something do?

  * "Vendor: Bugfix release for gtkhtml" seems wrong to me, what
    does it link to?

Thanks,

James