[packagekit] Problems with GPK and Yum Plugins

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 02:43:40 PDT 2010

On 6 October 2010 18:11,  <rotru at br.ibm.com> wrote:
> Not sure if we could call it a hack, because the plugins were developed
> to support stuff like that: exclude packages, add/remove repos, disable
> plugins, etc. The plugin have been worked for more then 5 years. I have
> not seen issues in the yum command line and with Yumex nether.

Right, but as I've already said PackageKit does some things
differently as it's sending all the data over an abstract interface.
For instance, gpk-application gets the repo details at startup so that
it can map the repo_id in the package_id to a nice name like "Fedora -
Updates" in the GUI without doing a RepoDetail request every time the
user clicks on a package. So if you just add the repo at search time,
and not when the repos are enumerated it's going to break the UI.
There are lots of cases like this.

> No, no, I do not use the Yum process UID. The plugin behavior is the same
> as the examples I provided. The only difference is that every user has a
> kind of UID (locally written), that is what I send to the webservice, to
> get the proper repos as a string stream. In the examples I omitted this
> part and wrote the repos string like if I was received from the webservice.

Are you sure the PK plugin can get the local-uid key, and can also
access the webserver? Do you have to use some sort of proxy server
setup?

I think you're going to have to debug this, by running something like:

/usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py search-name none power

And perhaps by reading yumBackend.py and working out if anything needs
to be changed for your custom setup.