[packagekit] Problems with GPK and Yum Plugins

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 7 06:22:37 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 14:11 -0300, rotru at br.ibm.com wrote:
> On 6 October 2010 16:23, <rotru at br.ibm.com> wrote:
> >> I uploaded an example of the codes here:
> >> We have to hide some repositories  and make them available on the fly
> when specific users run yum or any front-end application to it .
> >> We get the repos from a webservice and add them dynamically.
>
> > Right, now your error makes sense. PackageKit doesn't really support
> > adding and removing repos like this. Put bluntly, it's a hack, and I'm
> > surprised it even worked in yum.
>
> Not sure if we could call it a hack

 It's not a hack from yum's point of view but PK isn't designed to work
well with yum so I guess you can call it a "hack" from that point of
view. You are not alone, I've seen more than a couple of bugreports that
yum-plugin-auto-update-debug-info doesn't work in PK.
 Luckily PK should be moving to Zif in the future, which will avoid this
type of confusion (although, obviously, you'll need to rewrite your
plugins for Zif at that point).

> , because the plugins were developed
> to support stuff like that: exclude packages, add/remove repos, disable
> plugins, etc. The plugin have been worked for more then 5 years. I have
> not seen issues in the yum command line and with Yumex nether.

 If you are doing tests based on the machine, and then
enabling/disabling repos. ... you might be able to move your code into
init_hook, which should work.