[packagekit] app-install 0.1.0 released!

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Sep 3 03:14:30 PDT 2010

Richard Hughes wrote:

>> Going with the distro-version/repo theme, it would look something
>> like "packages-8-stable.db" (and matching icons tarball, per "repo").
>
> It's completely up to the distro. For fedora, I've just used "fedora"
> but maybe fedora-14 might have been better.

Wouldn't know. I've used 7.2-release since that is what I had.
But the tool should work with either platform/pkgbranch INDEX.

Unfortunately there are no filelists (without extract), though.

>> One thing I noted was that some applications have their icons in
>> "pixmaps", maybe those need to have their size identified and
>> copied to the proper directory ? Currently it only checks "icons".
>
> Checkout git, there are tons of fixes for getting and converting
> icons.

So I noticed. Seems like it should do all that stuff now, then.

>> And then there is /usr/local/kde4/share/applications/kde4 too...
>> (/usr/local/share/applications/kde as well) So maybe it could do
>> with some more configuration on those, instead of hardcoding ?
>
> I think those directories are deprecated, no? And for configuration, a
> GKeyFile-style file in /etc is probably a good idea, if nothing else
> than to decide what sizes of icons to generate.

There's still /opt/kde and so on, even if those are deprecated
(don't think they are, but) And it's possible to change PREFIX.

And what locales to include could be another option, perhaps ?

--anders