[packagekit] Application Installer Miniconf: Trip Report

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 07:35:48 PST 2011

On 24 January 2011 15:21, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/24/2011 07:08 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
>>  • Ubuntu have a nice UI with the Ubuntu Software Center.
>
> Any plans of making this less Ubuntu specific and usable by other
> distributions

Yes, lots. We talked in depth with Michael about hopefully dropping
the Canonical CLA and making it the "Software Center". We'll have to
wait and see how well that goes, although mvo is trying to convince
people this week.

>>  • Packages are not that interesting to the end user.
>>  • We will integrate with online social services to provide features
>> like ratings and comments using OCS
>
> What's OCS?

Sorry, I should have been more specific:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/open-collaboration-services

In short: it's some very cool web-services stuff.