[packagekit] Urls and Further Intergration

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 11:38:35 PST 2011

Dear PackageKit developers,

I've been tentatively querying different people involved in packaging
about putting together a short guide for project developers and
commercial entities that ship Linux/FreeDesktop software and would like
to advertise downloads and installations of their software from their
website.

Not that I think projects should be told what to do of course. But some
general guidance, best practices and examples might help projects unify
the way people see linux downloads on websites.

I would like to know if you guys could spare a minute to answer some of
my questions? especially if you are involved in the Fedora project as
I've not been able to find a suitable person from Fedora to query.

 1. Does PackageKit have any integration with web browsers? For example
AptUrl or other package install linking mechanisms?
 2. Can a website know if a visiting user, with a PackageKit enabled
system, has a specific package available in their repositories
 3. Or if they have specific repositories available/enabled?
 4. What is your thoughts on the automatic detection of operating
systems using request headers to present users with specific download
options?
 5. What web browsers would you target for integration?
 6. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your help guys,

Best Regards, Martin Owens