[packagekit] Urls and Further Intergration

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:01:50 PST 2011

On 31 January 2011 19:38, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to know if you guys could spare a minute to answer some of
> my questions? especially if you are involved in the Fedora project as
> I've not been able to find a suitable person from Fedora to query.

Sure, I'm not sure I can answer _as_ Fedora, but I certainly work on Fedora.

>  1. Does PackageKit have any integration with web browsers? For example
> AptUrl or other package install linking mechanisms?

It's got the web plugin -- see
http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2008/09/09/packagekit-web-plugin/ for
some very out of date screenshots :-)

>  2. Can a website know if a visiting user, with a PackageKit enabled
> system, has a specific package available in their repositories

No, that would be a massive security problem. Imagine if there was a
httpd remote exploit discovered in the wild, with a website knowing a
package list it becomes trivial to get thousands of potentially
exploitable systems from one easy website.

>  3. Or if they have specific repositories available/enabled?

Same as above. See
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/packagekit/plain/contrib/browser-plugin/README
for a security discussion.

> Thanks for your help guys,