[Piglit] piglit-dispatch for gles

Paul Berry stereotype441 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:16:56 PST 2013

On 2 January 2013 15:28, Tom Gall <tom.gall at linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was looking at some of the piglit-dispatch code experimenting a bit
> with the intent to implement it for gles and was wondering where did
> the past discussions on this end up?
>
> There is a comment above piglit_dispatch_default_init that mentions
> run-time parameters. The "Waffle and piglit-dispatch plans" thread
> from back in May + June 2012 are of interest but I'm not sure
> consensus was reached.
>
> Was it? Is there any sort of design put together beyond what's
> currently in the code?

Your timing couldn't be better, Tom.  I just started to work on this again
this week.  I would love to hear what you've discovered in your
experiments, and I'm happy to split the implementation effort with you if
you're interested.

Here's what I would like to have in the long term:

1. Waffle needs a facility like piglit-dispatch, so rather than duplicate
code between piglit and waffle, it makes sense to migrate piglit-dispatch
to waffle, and then extend it to support gles.

2. Piglit-dispatch, in its current incarnation, generates its code based on
the files gl.spec, gl.tm, enumext.spec (all published at
www.opengl.org/registry/api/).  However, there are some errors and
omissions in those files, so to work around those errors, Piglit has its
own copy of them, which we have to maintain independently.  This has proven
to be kind of a mess to keep updated when opengl.org publishes new files,
and it's only going to get worse when we try to add information about
gles.  So I'm currently working on some scripts that attempt to pull
information from multiple sources (the aforementioned files, the standard
gles headers, mesa's XML files, and perhaps other sources), and produce a
master database of all GL/GLES functions that we can base waffle-dispatch
on.

I'm currently in the middle of item 2, and I think I will have something
worth showing to the public within about a week.  Add another week to port
piglit-dispatch to waffle and get it building, another week to compensate
for developer bravado, and another week or two for things to get reviewed
on various mailing lists, and my rough guess is that things will probably
start working sometime in February.

I was planning to discuss these plans with some of the other Intel folks
when I'm back in the office tomorrow.  Feel free to chime in with your
thoughts.